I am stealing this idea from Katie — because she is awesome and more creative than I. Plus, I’m sure you’re dying to learn more about me.
1. I studied abroad in Russia. It was cold and dark for much of my time there. Then White Nights arrived in May and the sun was out from 4am to about 1am. I can’t even describe how much that throws off your body clock.
2. As a direct result of the above, I became a vegetarian. My host mom tried to feed me meat — of unidentifiable origin — and I was having none of it. I figured it would be easier if I just told her I was a vegetarian. Then she tried chicken (like that scene in My Big Fat Greek Wedding — “You don’t eat no meat? I fix you lamb.”) and I pushed back even harder. The habit stuck. I did that for a year — and now I eat meat selectively.
3. Hummus is a separate food group for me. I can take down an entire container in one sitting, which I started doing when it was one of my few sources of good protein. When I was living in Atlanta, my fellow interns made fun of me, but then I got a call a year later from one that went something like: “If I, in theory, wanted to buy some hummus, where would I find it in the grocery store?” Boom. It’s delicious.
4. I like sleeping in pitch-black dark. My mom calls my room a cave.
5. My nickname since forever has been Emmy Lou. I’m not sure how it came about, but I do know it’s somehow related to the little girl in How the Grinch Stole Christmas.
6. I hate having unread email in my inbox. And for my Gmail account, messages have to be labeled/color-coded or I panic.
7. I didn’t drink beer until my senior year of college. Drinking games with liquor — I KNOW.
8. I wanted to be a doctor for pretty much my entire life. Then I took GenChem in as a freshman and realized I did not like science all that much. I panicked about how to tell my dad — who is a doctor — because I thought he’d be mad. On the contrary. He nearly threw a party.
9. I have a stuffed bunny rabbit named Thumper (after the Bambi character) who has cataracts, is nearly bald and has been a critical part of my life from day one. Among his adventures: getting lost in Walmart, falling out of the stroller in the middle of Independence Ave during Cherry Blossom Festival when I was two, hiding in my backpack during school and traveling all over the world. If I could save one thing in a fire, he would be it because he absolutely cannot be replaced.
10. I probably am not going to win any awards for my subtlety. I’m no longer the quiet and shy girl I used to be.
Any fun facts to share? I’m in need of some entertainment!